We dug a quick pit with the following details:
- Aspect was NE.
- Elevation was 8500
- Depth was approx. 2 feet (we did not measure)
- Structure was similar to what you have been posting. Basal depth hoar, then a dirt layer, then more depth hoar with the new snow (past two storms) on top.
- CT5 Q3 on a thin crust between the last two storms about 4-6 inches down.
- CT12 collapse on the basal facets
- No signs of activity, whumphing etc. as outlined above.
- Ski penetration was easily 12 inches.
- Boot penetration was to the ground.